BEVERLEY'S FAMOUS SCALLOPED POTATOES
3 pounds russet potatoes - washed and peeled, cut into 1/2" slices, then into half moons
2 cans Campbells' Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup sour cream
1 soup can full of wine, and another full of milk and/or stock
2 TB dried onions, 1 TB garlic powder
1 pound extra sharp cheddar cheese - grated
I grew up loving these potatoes, and have lovingly made them for every holiday gathering I attend.
Winter or summer, my mom would sweat in the kitchen and I swear her salty efforts made these taste better.
1. Put cut potatoes into a large pan of water with 1 TB added salt.
2. Boil until fork tender and then drain in a colander until cool enough to handle.
3. Put the mushroom soup, milk/stock, wine, sour cream, dried onions and garlic powder into a large bowl and mix well with a whisk.
4. Assemble the potatoes. First, put a little sauce in the bottom of the pot. Then,
- more sauce
- Repeat, you get the drift......end with extra cheese on top
5. Bake without a lid at 350 until bubbling, potatoes are soft and cheese is lightly browned - about 60-70 minutes.
6. Let the potatoes set up at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.
Thanks mom! Even on a 95 degree humid day I couldn't imagine tasting a better memory.