What you need:
Stockpot, sheet pan, parchment paper or silpat/silicone mat, bench scraper or knife
- one recipe basic challah dough
- Flaky sea salt or pretzel salt
- 8 ounces lager beer, 1/4 cup EACH brown sugar and baking soda, 8 cups water
1. Divide basic challah dough into 2, and then each of those into 4 pieces. Roll into ropes with your hands to a length of about 15-16 inches.
2. Watch the video below and braid 4 ropes into a small loaf and repeat with the remaining half. Place on greased parchment.
3. Cover with an inverted bowl and allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
4. While waiting for challah to rise, add the beer, brown sugar, baking soda and 8 cups water to a large pan and bring to a boil.
5. Carefully tip one loaf into the boiling solution and let sit for a minute, then tip over for another minute. With a spider or large spatula, return the loaf to a sheet pan. Do the same with the second loaf.
6. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt or pretzel salt, and bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes, until deep brown and shiny. Remove to a cooling rack before devouring!