WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- large saucepan, sharp knife, spoon or spatula
- 2 pounds of assorted mushrooms - wiped & sliced. I used white mushrooms, creminis and 2 large portabellos. I also soaked some dried mushrooms and used those for extra texture, color, and flavor.
- 2 TB butter +
- 2-3 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion - chopped to medium dice (1/2")
- 1 large carrot - washed, peeled, medium dice
- 1 1/2 cups white wine, stock, and/or reserved mushroom "liquor" (the liquid left over from soaking)
- 1 TB all purpose flour
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice all of your mushrooms.
- Dice the onions and carrot.
- Hydrate the dried mushrooms (if you are using) with some boiling water. Let them sit for a few minutes until pliable. Reserve the mushroom "liquor" for the sauce we'll make later.
- Heat a heavy pan on your stovetop.
- Melt the butter and add the olive oil all at once.
- Once the butter is turning a bit brown and almost melted, gather up your mushrooms and get ready to rock
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and once they are brown and releasing their fluid, add the onions and carrots and give it all a good stir.
- When your start to see "fond" in the bottom of the pan (as the mushrooms are concentrating and dehydrating nicely) add a cup of the wine or stock, and using your spoon loosen up all the brown tidbits from the bottom of the pan.
- Heat up 1/2 a cup of stock, wine or mushroom liquor in the microwave, whisk in the flour, and add that to the vegetables.
- Add the thyme, salt and pepper and taste!
- Chop up some parsley or other fresh herbs from your veggie drawer, and add a little green at the last minute.
- If the mixture gets too thick, add more stock, wine or mushroom liquor. Taste again and adjust the seasoning!
- YOU CAN ALSO SERVE THIS RAGOUT OVER MASHED POTATOES, BROWN RICE OR EVEN A TOASTED SLICE OF ARTISAN BREAD OR ASIDE POACHED EGGS FOR AN ELEGANT SOUL-WARMING BREAKFAST! ENJOY!
- IF YOU DON'T HAVE OR LIKE WHITE WINE, USE SHERRY OR EVEN SHERRY VINEGAR FOR A NICE BRIGHT ADDITION TO YOUR SAUCE.
- IF YOU WANT TO SHAVE TIME OFF COOKING, GO AHEAD AND BUY PRE-SLICED MUSHROOMS. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!