these meatballs are a delicious appetizer and can act as a main course. They contain all the flavors of the mediterranean and have no added dairy, gluten or egg.
Makes 16 meatballs & serves 4 as a main dish, 8 as an appetizer
- 1 TB each, cumin and coriander seed
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced or grated
- 3 TB each finely minced fresh mint and Italian parsley
- 1 tsp each dry oregano, rosemary and dill
- 2 TB tomato paste
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt + 1 tsp ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
1. Toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a small heavy pan over medium heat until fragrant. Take off the heat, and grind in a food processor or spice grinder. If you have neither, put the seeds in a zip-lock bag and pound with a hammer or other heavy object.
2. Put the ground cumin and coriander into a medium bowl and add all the rest of the ingredients except for the olive oil.
3. Preheat oven to 425. Line a sheet pan with foil (easier clean up) and set a cooling rack inside of it. Spray the rack with some vegetable spray.
4. Mix the meat and all the herbs and spices with your hands. Form into 16 meatballs and place them on the rack.
5. Roast for 12-15 minutes until the outsides of the meatballs are golden brown and the internal temperature registers 145. They will continue to cook a little more, even when out of the oven.
6. Garnish with some chopped parsley, and serve with Tzatziki or your favorite tomato sauce.