- Assorted leftover cheeses (I used cheddar, a 3 cheese mix, and some swiss)
- Grated parmesan(nutty) or pecorino(salty)
- 2 TB unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil
- delicious bread (I used whole grain seeded sandwich bread)
1. Melt butter in a cast iron or non-stick pan over medium heat.
2. Once butter is nutty brown, lay down the bread and then layer the cheese on one side.
3. Rotate the bread around the pan to absorb all that butter flavor and when it is light golden brown, close up the sandwich.
4. Lightly sprinkle some grated cheese on the top side, press in with your spatula, and flip over for 2 minutes. Repeat on the other side.
5. Your FRICO coating should look like this - lacy and crispy.
6. Turn the heat off and set the sandwich aside (still in the pan) to finish melting the cheese. Cut with a sharp knife and serve.
7. This homey sandwich is terrific with a side salad, and perhaps a mug or bowl of charred tomato soup.