BEV'S CHICKEN With MUSHROOM SOUP & SOUR CREAM
WHAT YOU NEED:
- casserole with lid or crockpot
- 4-5 pound cut up chicken or package of your favorite chicken parts, skin on - seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 cans Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup (no substitutes allowed)
- 1 onion - diced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sour cream (I used low fat)
- 1 soup can full of milk
- 1 soup can full of white wine (I swear my mom used more)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat up a heavy pan, add a splash of olive oil, and saute the onions and mushrooms together until onions are translucent and mushrooms have shrunk a bit and are deep golden brown. Remove the mixture, add a little more oil, and sear the chicken parts (without moving) for 4-5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, mix together the soup, sour cream, wine, garlic powder and milk, and mix well with a spoon. Pour in the cooked onions and mushrooms and mix.
3. Once you have turned the chicken, pour the sauce over, jostle the chicken a bit to distribute the sauce, and cover.
4. Cook in the oven at 300 for 3-4 hours; alternately you can cook on the stovetop over low, covered, for 2-3 hours or in your crockpot on high for 1-2 hours, then on low until ready to serve.
5. This tastes amazing over rice, egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Mom, thanks for this one!
6. Have a glass of wine and toast your mother. Doctor's Orders.