BABKA + CHALLAH = BALLAH
What you need:
9" springform pan or baking ring
1 recipe basic challah dough
2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (to melt) + 1+ cup extra for sprinkling
1/2 cup half&half or cream
pinch sea salt
1. Heavily grease the inside of a springform pan and set aside. If using a cake ring, grease the inside, set on a parchment lined sheet pan. Grease the parchment as well.
2. Put 2 cups of chocolate and the half&half or cream in a bowl and microwave for 15 seconds at a time until chocolate is soft. Whisk until smooth and add a pinch of salt and mix. Keep at room temp until ready to use.
3. Make challah dough and let rise for an hour. Cut dough into 4 equal pieces.
4. Lightly flour your work surface and using a rolling pin, roll a piece of the dough into a rectangle roughly 18 x 24". Brush with the melted chocolate, then sprinkle with 1/4 of the cookie crumbs. Sprinkle with some unmelted chips.
5. Carefully roll up to form a 24" log, and pinch the seams and ends together to contain the chocolate. Repeat the process for the other 3 pieces of dough.
6. Braid into a round challah as described below, taking care not tear the dough. Tuck ends under and place in a greased springform pan or cake ring. Brush with egg wash, let rise for an hour, brush again with egg wash, and bake at 375 for 40-50 minutes until deep brown and internal temperature is 195 degrees.
7. Let cool on a rack for 30 minutes in the mold/pan. Remove the pan/mold, transfer to a platter and enjoy!