I've never been a fan of true Hollandaise - it's just too rich for me. I had to make gallons of it in culinary school, and swore I would never make it again. However, I wanted a creamy, "brunchey" sauce to lay over the egg in this burger, and avocado, with hints of lemon (just like hollandaise) came to mind. This one's simple - you just need a blender or little food processor. You can serve this warm or cold and it will hold, covered with plastic wrap, in your refrigerator overnight. This will make enough sauce for 4 burgers (or slathered on BLTs and other sandwich creations).
- 1 large avocado, peeled and pitted
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1/3 cup hot water
- pinch each of salt, pepper, and cayenne
- 2 TB fruity olive oil or neutral vegetable oil
1. Put the avocado, lemon juice, hot water and seasonings into your blender or processor and puree until smooth. Slowly add in the olive oil , stopping midway to taste before adding it all.
2. Adjust final flavor with more salt, pepper or lemon juice.