This recipe makes 15 apples
WHAT YOU NEED:
- apple corer and sharp knife or mandoline
- muffin tin
- pastry brush
5 fragrant apples (she used Honeycrisp)
Flour for dusting and rolling
1 pkg. frozen puff pastry, defrosted in the refrigerator
1/2 cup of your favorite jam
1. Prepare the apples: Slice the apples in half from top to bottom and remove the core from the center of the apple without splitting it. Lay the apple cut side down on a cutting board and cut the apple into slices as thinly as possible (1/16th of an inch). Place the apple slices in a bowl filled with water plus a spritz of lemon juice. Microwave the apples in the lemon water for about three minutes to soften them.
Alternately (Dr. JJ tip): using your apple corer, remove the core from the whole apple. Cut it in half from top to bottom, the slice each half with your mandoline, keeping a thin slice of skin on each crescent of fruit.
2. Prepare the dough: Sprinkle a cutting board with flour and roll out the pastry sheet as thinly as possible (tip: flour your rolling pin). Brush off any flour from the rolled out dough. Cut it into six or seven long strips, approximately 2 inches wide.
3. Prepare the jam: Mix the jam with the 1 tsp. of water and put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir to combine until it has a thick syrup-like consistency.
4. Assemble the apples: Lay the pastry strips down and brush jam over each one. Place the apple slices along the top half of each strip, laid out like overlapping rainbows. Fold up the bottom half of the strip, then carefully roll up each one until you have a rose.
5. Place the roses in greased muffin tins and bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature. I think a little scoop of mascarpone, creme fraische, or your favorite vanilla would do the trick.
6. Treat yourself (once in a while). Doctor's Orders!