APPLE CHALLAH - in a Turban!
What you need:
Sheet pan, silpat/silicone mat or parchment paper, sharp knife, rolling pin
- one recipe basic challah dough
- 2 apples - peeled, cored and chopped finely - about 2 cups
- 2 cups applesauce
- 2 tsp cinnamon mixed with 4 tsp white or brown sugar
- egg wash - 1 egg mixed with 1 TB cream, half&half, or milk
1. Make basic challah and let rise for an hour.
2. Lightly flour your countertop and roll out the dough to a roughly 24"x24" square.
3. Spread applesauce over the dough, leaving about an inch margin. Then scatter the apples, sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar and if you want, drizzle with a little honey.
4. Roll up tightly into a 2 foot log, pinching the ends and seam to close.
5. Starting with one end placed in the center of the parchment, create a tight spiral with the dough, tucking the other end under the loaf at the end. Brush with egg wash, cover lightly with a large bowl inverted over the dough, and let rise for another 45 minutes to an hour. Brush again with egg wash.
6. Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes until deep bronze and interior temperature is 195 degrees.
7. Slice and enjoy!